Greg Fox, B. Sc.
Phone: (250) 893-6000
Address: Victoria, B.C.
Electronic Mail: email@example.com
Competent and goal-oriented Software Developer with a degree in Computer Science. Over six years experience in the software development industry. Proven ability to design and deliver robust and maintainable components of a complex system. Strong object-oriented design and implementation skills. Productive and results-driven in team and individual projects.
GF Technologies, Victoria, BC
Owned and operated a software consulting company
March 2010 – Present
- Developed a SQL data model for an existing Java code data model.
- Implemented a data persistence layer in the existing data model using jOOQ to generate a database communication
- Completed partially implemented UI features using jQuery and knockout.
- Worked remotely with the development team to complete all tasks on time and within budget.
- Architected and lead the implementation for a workflow management web application for the Ministry of Labour, Citizens' Services and Open Government.
- Repaired a code library that merged data into printable RTF documents.
- Architected a framework to parse various input file formats and process them in a common framework.
- Created a proof of concept application that uses .Net reflection to locate a target executable and callback into the destination application to complete record processing.
- Implemented a data access layer to an ArcSDE system using ArcObjects.
- Created a task scheduler service used to coordinate various import tasks.
- Quickly became an integral team member by adopting the development methodologies of an in-progress project.
- Was responsible for selecting and implementing features for a publishing application designed to streamline the publishing process.
- Researched newly released Microsoft Entity Framework 4 and defined usage guidelines with respect to existing best practices.
- Coded and unit tested components, exceeding defined standards for code coverage.
- Participated in design sessions for the next generation platform.
Kodak, Victoria, B.C.
November 2006 - November 2009
- One of the primary developers on InSite Storefront, a critical component of the Kodak Web To Print solution.
- Investigated payment processors, and identified one that would best allow the web portal product to accept credit card payments from the end users for customers.
- Created a method for one web portal to offload print jobs to another web portal.
- Designed and implemented plug-in architectures for payment processors and shipping carriers. This gave our customers the ability to select their preferred partners.
- Researched third party API's and developed strategies for incorporating their functionality into the product.
- Upgraded legacy batch scripts to PowerShell.
NewHeights Software, Victoria, B.C.
May 2004 - November 2006
- Researched Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) and SIP-related Internet Engineering Task Force RFCs and became one of the company experts on these technologies.
- Integrated a large third party C library into a .NET assembly. This involved implementing a managed C++ wrapper around the C library.
- Managed communications with and bug reporting to a third party SIP stack vendor.
- Enhanced skills by learning new software development techniques, and applied those to already in-progress projects.
Voice Mobility Inc, Victoria, B.C.
June 1998 - April 2004
Telephony Software Engineer
- Worked within a team to develop the telephony components of an exciting and extremely useful unified communications product.
- Aided the porting of crucial code packages from Windows to Linux.
- Managed a large project from beginning to end. This included design, implementation, testing, and bug fixes, as well as supervising a new employee assigned to this project and coordinating the work of my team with other teams.
- Accurately estimated timelines for assigned work, which led to consistently meeting project deadlines.
- Was involved in the complete re-design and re-implementation of our system. This involved abstracting out a hardware layer, and building interface layers to convert from an event-based system to a callback-based system.
- Worked with the Quality Assurance department to define and resolve bugs during the development cycle, and with the Client Care department to resolve customer issues on deployed systems.
- Analyzed the existing code base to help improve the efficient use of system resources.
- Quickly and efficiently learned different tools to aid development. The tools included change tracking systems, source control tools, and requirements tools.
- Helped train new employees, which allowed them to understand our system design, code base, company procedures, and company policies.
- Followed the in-house Best Practices guide to help ensure a homogeneous code base.
Voice Mobility Inc, Victoria, B.C.
April 1998 - June 1998
Co-op Work Term 5
- Maintained an existing OS/2 code base.
- Ported our application from OS/2 to Windows NT.
- Researched different paging protocols in order to determine which would best suit the newly defined telecommunications product.
Maritime Forces Pacific, Esquimalt, B.C.
September 1997 - December 1997
Co-op Work Term 4
- Analyzed the current design of a large database system, and recommended improvements that were later implemented.
- Liaised with the database users to determine what features the database would need next.
- Documented the entire system so future developers could easily maintain the database.
The Canadian Astronomical Data Centre, Victoria, B.C.
January 1997 - April 1997
Co-op Work Term 3
- Made changes to existing programs adhering to software design standards and practices.
- Increased the efficiency and functionality of aging software.
- Wrote new software that combined the use of database queries and C-shell script calls.
The Dominion Radio Astrophysical Observatory
May 1996 - August 1996
Co-op Work Term 2
- Converted FORTRAN programs into C programs by modifying existing GNU Makefiles.
- Developed an HTML-based interactive display system for the visitor center. This required complete system design and implementation.
- Created routines to produce summary reports for observatory post-processing programs.
- Composed user-friendly configuration and install procedures for observatory export software, using C-shell scripts.
- University of Victoria, Victoria, B.C., Completed a Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science Co-op in June 1999
- Wellington Secondary High School, Nanaimo, B.C., Graduated in 1993
- Skills/Technologies: C#, ASP.Net, Flex, PowerShell, managed C++, C++, C
- Software: Microsoft Visual Studio, FlexBuilder, Perforce, Subversion, CVS, Visual Source Safe, Jira, MKS Integrity Manager, MKS Source Integrity, Microsoft Office
- I have a growing interest in photography.
- I am an avid mountain biker; I particularly enjoy riding highly technical singletrack. I have also become involved in mountain bike racing.